Saturday, October 29, 2011

Sewing project

For a Halloween costume for Ellie we came up with Red Riding Hood. And we decided to make her a cloak instead of trying to find one in the store. I must mention that when Danielle and I work on projects together for some reason we usually end up messing one part or another majorly. So we were a little apprehensive at how this would turn out. Nevertheless, we looked up patterns online and then came up with our own. 
Don't you love the huge T-square we used. We couldn't find a ruler or measuring tape long enough so we improvised and grabbed Spencer's. Not sure my dad would approve this new use of a T-square! 
this is the back panel
side panels
I am not an accomplished seamstress, in any sense, so it was kind of nerve-wracking for me. 
measuring on the live model. not a good pic of either of us
After a few hours and very few mistakes(surprisingly), we finished the cloak. The entire time Ellie kept asking "when is it going to be done? Will you have it done before Halloween?" I kept thinking "I hope!"
 Once we put it on her, Ellie said "Oh, mom! This is swell!" Well, thank you Ellie.
She wore it all night. She even wore it to Walmart on an errand with Danielle. Ellie was so excited at how warm her cloak is which will be good for trick-or-treating. This cloak will also get so much use everyday as Ellie will use it for her dress up.
This was a success for Danielle and I especially considering we made our own pattern and this was my first time sewing something other than a pillowcase.

3 comments:

  1. Loni it looks awesome! You guys did a fabulous job! She looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did an amazing job! I had no idea you two made that!

    -Jodi

    ReplyDelete