Monday, August 29, 2011

Monkey Bars and Muffins

I found some really yummy recipes that I wanted to use for healthier snacks for the kids. The first is Monkey Bars Kinda like banana bread and all my kids liked them which is an accomplishment in our house! And I also wanted to make enough that I could freeze them and put them in Ayden's lunches or use for after school snacks.
So I grabbed a helper and got started.
Ellie did a great job stirring and pouring in the ingredients once I measured them. Her favorite part in helping was that she got to wear an apron!
The recipe calls for whole wheat flour, but since I didn't have any I just substituted all purpose white flour and it turned out fine. I also used applesauce instead of oil and that made the bars moist and they won't dry out so much after I freeze and then thaw them.Once they were cooled, I put them in the fridge for a while to make them easier to cut. Then I wrapped them individually and put them in the freezer. I forgot to get pictures of the monkey bars to show what they look like.
The next recipe I tried was Apple Pumpkin Muffins ( you have scroll down to the middle of the page to find it). I liked this recipe because it uses pumpkin (yum) and apples together in a muffin (double yum). With this recipe you can either make regular sized or mini muffins. And I also made a small bread loaf with it too. We made a second batch and used chocolate chips instead of apples which turned out very tasty too.
Here are the finished products all ready to go for the freezer
So now I have over 50 individually wrapped snacks to pull out when the kids get hungry. I feel like I accomplished a great feat, even though it was only a few hours of baking. But it will definitely help on the food budget and snack prep in the future.

4 comments:

  1. Those muffins sound DELICIOUS! Have you ever had apple cinnamon muffins? They are amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am officially craving those now! They look great! I'd love to have the recipe if you don't mind sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, they are so yummy. I linked the blue words to the recipes. So you just click on them and it will take you there.

    ReplyDelete