Saturday, November 5, 2011

Kids say (and do) the Darndest Things

My kids are always saying or doing the funniest things (for an example, refer to blog post: Bedazzled Bums). And I always tell myself to write them down so I will remember them. And usually I don't. I thought I would post some here.

The other night, Spencer was trying to teach Ayden about blood pressure. He went into this elaborate explanation of water pressure in the kitchen faucet, hoping to then tie it back to blood pressure(I think). And in mid-sentence Ayden interrupts Spencer and says "Dad, I don't know anything about that kind of pressure. The only kind of pressure I understand is the pressure on the quarterback."  That completely made Spencer's night!

While driving in the car with Ellie on the way back from picking her birthday gift at Walmart:
Ellie: "Oh no, Mom! I only have 9 fingers. I've counted and counted and one is missing." 
Me: "oh, no. maybe you dropped it at Walmart." 
Ellie: "No, I found it. that's so crazy!"
Me: "Yes, you are very crazy."
Ellie: "Yeah, it's always crazy when one of my body parts falls off."
Yes, Ellie that would be very crazy! and just how many, exactly, have fallen off?

Spencer was teaching Tate how to fist bump. And each time their fists connected, Spencer would say "boom!". So now Tate walks around the house bumping his own fists together and saying "boom!"

A conversation Ellie had with Danielle while eating lunch:
Ellie: "Everyone in my family is crazy except you, Aunt Dani."
Danielle: "What am I?"
Ellie: "You are a listener. All grown-ups are listeners"
Danielle: "But your mom is a grown-up"
Ellie: "Yeah, she's a listener AND crazy."
Danielle: "What is your dad?"
Ellie: "He's just crazy."

Ayden is a picky eater and doesn't like to try anything new, even down to condiments. A few Saturdays ago, I made them fish sticks(yuck) for lunch. And I wanted Ayden to try frysauce with it. Usually, he just dips them in ketchup. So I thought frysauce wouldn't be that much of a stretch. Ayden tasted a teeny tiny bit and immediately said, "oh, yuck. how does anyone eat that?" Then he proceeded to dunk his fish stick in his applesauce. After I recovered from that gross combination, I asked him why applesauce is an acceptable dipping sauce for fish sticks, but not frysauce. And he said. "they just go together, you know."  No, Ayden, I do not know. Nor will I ever!

Tate has recently discovered "talking" on the phone. He will use anything that can be held up to his ear. He doesn't discriminate; a remote is just as good as a shoe which is just as good as an actual phone. And he wanders (we call it pacing) around the house while he "talks." He will walk through the living room and then disappear for a minute or so and then come back (having just returned from my bedroom). We thought it was cute, but didn't realize how much of it was being modeled for him until the other night. Spencer was on the phone pacing around our room. And who was pacing right along side him talking on the DVD remote? Taters!!

I love my kids! They definitely keep me on my toes and make me stop and think. And always keep me laughing!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE these stories! Your family is such a hoot! I really wish we lived closer. Your kids are so awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete