Monday, December 24, 2012

A bed for Baby Jesus

This Christmas Eve our family is making a bed for the Baby Jesus. All day long, as we do acts of service, kindness, and love we will put pieces of "hay" in the manger to make a soft bed for Jesus. When I explained it to the kids, their sweet faces lit up with excitement. Immediately, they jumped up to start their service to someone else. Ayden unloaded the dishwasher and Ellie cleaned up the living room. And they have been speaking very kindly to one another and trying to find other ways to put the hay in the manger.
 
I remember doing this one year growing up and thinking it was so special. I'm excited for our family to have this tradition. I love the feeling of peace and love that is already filling our home. I thought this idea would go along perfectly with The 25 Days of Christ that we've been doing. It's a great way for our children to understand the true meaning of Christmas: serving and loving others the way Christ did.

2 comments:

  1. That is such a beautiful way to bring more of the Christmas spirit into your home. I think sometimes it's not enough to teach kids to be good so Santa can bring them the things they want. I love that you are teaching them and helping them learn to love the Savior and that by showing others love and kindness we show him love and kindness. And although toys are awesome that isn't the focus or the reason we are good to others. I needed this little pick me up. Thank you, I love you and your family so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Heather. I'm so excited for this. Already I can tell a huge difference in our home. They are excited about Santa but the most important thing for them right now is to know and feel the love of their Savior. And they are excited as they write down their acts of service on the hay for Jesus' bed. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete