Sunday, August 11, 2013

James Family Reunion

Most of my family lives in Wyoming with 3 of us here in Utah. We all live at least 4 hours away from each other with most being over 8 hours. So it's not often that my entire family gets together. We finally decided it was time that we started family reunions.
Growing up we did not live close to extended family so we missed a lot of opportunities to become close to aunts, uncles and cousins. Sadly, I don't have a relationship with most of my cousins or aunts/uncles. And I don't want that for my kids. I want them to call their cousins their friends and be able to share memories with them. One of the biggest reasons we moved back from Alabama was to be closer to family. We took for granted the many blessings having family close offers.
This was the major reason my family decided we should start scheduled family reunions. This year we went to Bear Lake and rented a big cabin. We had such a blast!
We shared one big cabin and each family had to provide one meal for everyone which worked out really well. It was kind of a challenge coming up with meal plans that would feed 25 people, but somehow it all worked out and we ate very well! The kids had a blast just playing with each other and swimming. Us sisters went right back to our usual behavior: complete and total sarcasm! But it works for us and we had a lot of fun joking around with each other. Most nights my sisters and I would end up in the living room talking while some worked on craft projects. I wish my sisters and I lived closer to each other so we could get together more often.
I'll be posting a ton of pictures!
Marlayna, Ellie, Ayden and Sam enjoying a beautiful morning on the porch

Big cousin Ayden helping Kaleb

 
Aunt Chris crafting with Taters

Ellie and Tate crafting with Aunt Chris

Uncle Spencer playing the tablet with Grant and Tate
My brothers-in-law JJ and Adam brought "toys" for the family to use. JJ brought his razor (atv) and Adam brought a waver runner. The kids had fun taking rides with Uncle JJ. My favorite was when the 3 cousins Ellie, Marlayna and Tate went. The girls were excited but nervous. Afterward JJ told me "your daughter is quite the adrenaline junky. She laughed and screamed the whole, especially when I'd revv the engine."
Tate ready to go

The girls held on for dear life!
I don't have any pictures of kids on the wave runner, but they all had a blast. Spencer was excited to ride it and took my kids on a very slow ride on it. None of them wanted to go fast. Later Spencer decided he wanted to try water skiing, something he hasn't done since he was 15. Did it go well, you ask? Well, after a few attempts he tore his hamstring! So no, it didn't go well for the poor guy. He said he was trying to pull himself up in the water and his legs split (very far apart) and he heard a pop! Luckily, Bear Lake has a small medical office and we were able to get him some crutches and pain meds. He spent the rest of the weekend hobbling around crutches and icing his hamstring.

Despite this little accident, the entire weekend went very well. Saturday my Aunt Janette and her family came up to visit us. They played at the beach with the family and got to witness our entire crazy James family. I hope we didn't chase them away! That night we celebrated all the summer birthdays.

cake and icecream!


enjoying birthday cake!
Danielle and I made candy posters for the 3 kids who were celebrating the most recent birthdays: Sam, Grant and James. Love you guys!



 We had family t-shirts made for the weekend. And of course, had to take a big awkward family photo!


just the grandkids
 I love this picture of my parents. It's rare that you can catch Greg on camera being silly
 
 
The Jeide Family (my oldest sister Chris and her family)


The Lechner Family minus Mark (My older sister Jillayne and her family)


The Shaw family. Our first photo was with Ellie crying and refusing to be in the picture.
 
this will be used for blackmail later in life

much better

Danielle did not want a picture by herself so I'll use this one!
awkward shot of me
The Bigelows (my little sister Katie and her family)

My brother Russell and his wife, Nicole were not able to attend the weekend so I don't have any photos of them. Especially in their amazing t-shirts!
After all these photos, my sisters and I decided to get  do some silly ones:


And then the guys decided to do their own:


I love my family! We had so much fun and I can't wait until we do this again in 2 years. I'm in charge of planning the next one. We'll see what I come up with. I am so thankful I have been blessed with an amazing, supportive family. We can be crazy and ornery, sarcastic and chaotic, but we are also loving, funny, and even though I already said this, supportive. I thank my Father in Heaven everyday for this wonderful blessing.




 
 


1 comment:

  1. I love love love this post! I'm so happy you all got to be together. Minus Russ and his wife but still how awesome! I love you're whole family and miss them all so much!

    ReplyDelete