Sunday, January 5, 2014

Christmas Eve

Christmas Eve at the Shaw house started out a little different this year. Tate needed to have his adenoids removed and we needed it done before the end of the year because of our insurance deductible. The only day available? Christmas Eve!
We headed to the surgery center at 5:45am. Spencer had to work so my sister Jillayne came with me to help with Taryn while I dealt with Tate. I'm so glad she was there!
waiting to go back

waiting for the doctor and anesthesiologist
 Luckily, Tate was in a good mood and just watched Curious George until they were ready for him. He wasn't allowed to eat breakfast or drink anything and I was worried that would become a problem. But he never once asked and just cuddled with his bear until they took him for surgery.
The surgery was really quick and went well. The doctor told me that his adenoids were even bigger than she had first thought. At his appointment, she said his adenoids were a 4 on a scale of 1 to 4. But she discovered they were actually 25% bigger than she thought. So this was a much needed surgery. As she was talking to me I could hear someone screaming in the recovery rooms. Turns out it was Tate! He was completely out of control and not coherent at all. It was quite comical to see him that way especially because I left him in such a good mood.
trying to wake up from anesthesia
 The anesthesiologist said that toddlers are very cranky when waking up from anesthesia. And he wasn't kidding! Tate was thrashing around and crying incoherent words. He was particularly upset about the IV in his hand. And then upset about the bandage that replaced the IV. Finally, we were able to take him home and he cried and moaned for about 15 minutes before falling asleep. By the time we got home, he was back to being sweet Taters. He got to eat popsicles and drink juice and watch movies: he was totally happy!

cuddling and watching movies makes everything better
 
 By noon, Tate was feeling a lot better. He wanted to help make cookies for Santa. It's a tradition for our family that we make the cookies for Santa and I wasn't sure if he was going to want to help. He is usually my little baking helper and I was glad that he was able to today.
not sure why Ellie is wearing a coat to make cookies
 
the best part of making cookies!

After dinner, we started our Christmas Eve evening. We got hot cocoa and mini donuts and got in the car to go look at Christmas lights. We turned on Christmas songs and talked and sang while driving around the neighborhoods. Tate fell asleep during the drive so he missed the rest of our night. Once we got home, we watched the Forgotten Carols (my favorite) and then let the older 2 open one present. Bedtime went much quicker than usual as they were trying to get to bed quickly so they could see what surprises would be there in the morning!
 The day started out early and ended late, but I was very grateful for all the blessings my Father in Heaven gave me. Tate recovered quickly and we were able to spend the day as a family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment