Sunday, June 16, 2013

Happy Daddy's Day!

Happy Father's Day, or as it's referred to in our house, Happy Daddy's Day! This year we actually got to spend Daddy's Day with Spencer. Last year, he was still working in Alabama. My gift to him was golfing with his dad. He loves to golf, but rarely goes. Rarely meaning the last time he went was 2 years ago. He and his dad had a really good time. Spencer says the funny thing about golf is that you can have the crappiest game of your life, but get one good shot and that's what keeps you coming back! He was excited because he hit a ball 300 yards to the green.
The kids also decided they wanted to get him something. Ellie decided she wanted to get him new smell good (cologne) because "he always likes to smell nice." Yes, he does! They were so excited to give it to him this morning. They sure love their dad. 
I am so thankful for Spencer because I know he loves his children. He likes to teach them and share with them his interests in music and sports. He takes the time to be a coach on their sports teams and encourage them to work hard and be good people. He's silly with them and will make up crazy songs that they find hilarious. I am thankful for his strength and patience because there are plenty of times that I am short on both. He is always there to help guide me as a parent and we seem to compliment each other's strengths and weaknesses. Spencer we love you, Happy Daddy's Day.
I am also thankful for my father. My dad has always been an example of strength of character and hard work. I never questioned the values he stood for. There have been so many times when people throughout the community or church would say "your dad is a great man." I never doubted that and it made me proud of him and the example he was/is for others. Growing up, if you couldn't find my dad, there were 2 places to look: the garage or the kitchen table reading a book. Most often those books were gospel doctrine books. My testimony was grown and strengthened by observing his love for the gospel. I always knew the kind of spouse I wanted to have because of the example of my father. Dad, I love you and wish you a wonderful Daddy's Day!
To all the many fathers in my life and my children's lives: Happy Father's Day!

1 comment: